This is not the sort of post I expected to write on this site but given the issues I have had, I wanted to put down in writing of the pains ‘the bane of SSL’ has caused me so I can look back in the future and either laugh or more likely cry about it.
If your like me and know a little about a lot and becoming a guru at this stuff is just never gonna’ happen then SSL issues may well have plagued your website like they have mine. You fix one issue and another one pops up and then to make matters worse you think you have got it all working only to discover only fixed it in Firefox but it still comes with errors in IE, Chrome or Opera.
‘Kill me,…….. kill me……. NOW!’
At this point a loud scream (spitting daggers hence the image) and lots of four letter words immediately spring to mind.
In my case it was my header logo causing me all my headaches and it didn’t matter how many times I swapped it out or created another, different sizes, different formats (PNG or JPG). When I changed my theme and/added additional plugins (I do not know for sure) it reset the root address to http again after I had already fixed that issue at an earlier date.
And so we are back to ‘Kill me,…….. kill me……. NOW!’
To start off as stated above I am not a code guru, I have gleaned all the information below from multiple sites but they are mostly written in a manner that is great for the ‘Guru’s’ but painful for the rest of us. So this is a really dumbed down version so I can understand it if I have to go through these again at a future date lol.
What the hell is going on ?
Issues to look out for :
- WP migration plugin
- Site root set to http://[your url.com] and not to https://[your url.com]
- Not setting up the SSL on your hosts control panel (may seem obvious to some but to most its not)
Options to find out
If you have Google Chrome installed it has a nice feature which shows you where the problems are occurring.
Go to the triple dots in the top right hand corner, select ‘more tools’ and then ‘developer tools’ in the drop down menu and this will open up a new pane on the right hand side of your browser.
From there choose console and here is where your errors are listed and where they are on your site.
If its a plugin issue it will tell you the name of the plugin.
https://www.jitbit.com/sslcheck/ I found this site before I discover the Chrome option, personally I think its wise to use both option as I do know for sure if what is classed as safe by google is also safe with all the other browsers. Ultimately you want your site to work for everyone and not just for Chrome purists.
Apparently there are Word Press plugins that can fix these problems automatically but personally I think adding extra plugins to the mix could make the problem worse, additionally I think if you fix it yourself then you know what the issues were and can hopefully avoid again in the future.